Thread: Sun Fire Warmth

Sun Fire Warmth

I would like to present here an amazing word cluster which I have found in Serbian and Irish. The word cluster is related to heat (warmth), the most basic sources of heat and the most basic uses of heat. The fact that this word cluster relates to such basic terms, suggests that it originated very early, maybe even in Neolithic and maybe even in Paleolithic time. Apart from Serbian and Irish, this word cluster is found in part in other "Slavic" languages and in traces in other "Celtic" languages. I would really appreciate any additional information regarding the existence of the words from this word cluster in other languages.

You can read more here:

http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.i...-fire-sun.html

Re: Sun Fire Warmth

Quote Originally Posted by dublin View Post
    I would like to present here an amazing word cluster which I have found in Serbian and Irish. The word cluster is related to heat (warmth), the most basic sources of heat and the most basic uses of heat. The fact that this word cluster relates to such basic terms, suggests that it originated very early, maybe even in Neolithic and maybe even in Paleolithic time. Apart from Serbian and Irish, this word cluster is found in part in other "Slavic" languages and in traces in other "Celtic" languages. I would really appreciate any additional information regarding the existence of the words from this word cluster in other languages.

You can read more here:

http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.i...-fire-sun.html
    And your point is........? Are you trying to say that Serbian people and their language represents better than everyone else, the old stock of "misteriously" lost Indoeuropean (people) and language? No Dublin, I have to say no firmly. Serbian people are a nation who were established as such only in the 19-th century. Originally they were slaves, of the Eastern Romioi masters:

Constantine VII Porphyrogenitus :"De Administrando Imperio"

Their very name means servant=serbian=shrb-ej(Albanian)=to serve
    slavs=slaves=servants

They were a branch of the Bulgarians, and their language was originally called Bulgarian language

It's nothing ancient, on the Serbian people.

Re: Sun Fire Warmth

I Serbian we have these words and expressions related to the Sun and and heat:

grejati, grijati - to heat

greje, grije - it heats, it warms.

greje nas, grije nas, greje ni, grije ni - heats us, warms us

sunce grane - sun appears, dawns, starts warming

sunce greje, grije - sun heats, sun warms

sunce sine - sun starts shining

sunce sije, sija - sun shines

grejan, grijan - heated, warm

Official etymology for the Irish word grian states that the word comes from Old Irish gran, from Proto-Indo-European *ghreinā, from Proto-Indo-European *gher- (to shine, glow; grey)" which of course has nothing to do with burning and heating.

This makes absolutely no sense. Two major sources of light on earth are the sun and fire, both generating light through burning and producing heat at the same time. Can someone please explain to me how can the name for the Sun, which is yellow - orange, hot, bright, alive (like burning fire), and which gives off both heat and light (like burning fire), be logically derived from the same root used for color grey, which is cold, dead? Gray ash is what is left after fire dies and there is no more light and heat. Does anyone really think that ancient people would do something like that? Even natural shiny grey objects, like moon, stars are linked with cold, night and darkness, not heat, day and light. And all man made grey shiny objects like metal and mirror reflect light, they don't generate it. Plus all the man made shining grey things are much younger than the word for sun. This why I don't agree with the official etymology for the word "grian" and why I think the word "grian" meaning sun, comes from "grije" meaning heats and ultimately from gar, gor meaning fire, burning.
    Yes I will explain this to you. The cluster: 'gr' doesn't carry the meaning of the word "to warm", although otherwise of what you are saying:

Apart from Serbian and Irish, this word cluster is found in part in other "Slavic" languages and in traces in other "Celtic" languages.
    you can find this beyond Slavic and Celtic languages groups, like in Albanian:

n-groh=to warm

What makes the difference is the ongoing vowel i:
    ngr-o=to warm
    ngr-i= to freeze

Apparently the Albanian language, a vernacular one, makes much more sense, compared to a twisted and corrupted derivat of Old Church Slavonic, like Serbian.